(serving Baltimore MD area)
- Voting: Yes
- Street: 822 Guilford Ave
- City: Baltimore
- State: MD
- Zip: 21202
- Contact: Marty Maren, President
- Phone: (410) 558-0451
chapter's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TrioMaryland
Chapter activity reports:
Quarterly Report – TRIO Maryland 7/1/2015
- TRIO Maryland’s April meeting for calendar year 2015 was titled “Transplant Dermatology” and was expertly handled by Dr. Makhzoumi – University of Maryland Medical Center. It was a packed house of TRIO Members and guests on a topic that truly touches all transplant recipients. Dr. Makhzoumi shared pictures of patients that have had post transplant issues with skin cancer. So much good information was shared on sunscreen protection and what to pay attention to on your body that may indicate a problem. Please make an appointment today to see your transplant dermatologist if you haven’t done so as yet.
- The TRIO Maryland’s May meeting was very unique. Dr. Silke V. Niederhaus, from the University of Maryland Medical Center, shared her life story as a kidney transplant recipient and a kidney/liver transplant surgeon. The story started in Germany and the health issues she experienced as a child that eventually brought her to America for a kidney transplant. It was a long road to travel to get a transplant but along the way Dr. Niederhaus became interested in transplantation beyond her own story. A truly dedicated asset to the transplant community.
- The TRIO Maryland June meeting “The Art of Intimacy: Addressing Sexuality for Transplant Recipients”. Our Guest Speakers were: Kelly S. Casey, OTD, OTR/L, ATP and Yao Leung, OTD, OTR/L, ATP; Occupational Therapists at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Kelly and Yao held nothing back and advised all attendees that it would be a very intimate conversation covering positions, devices and techniques to help with your sexual life post transplant. The presentation was very helpful and was delivered with delicacy and a sense of humor. A most helpful topic for all recipients recovering from a transplant.
- Upcoming meetings for the third quarter 2015:
- July 11 – The topic: “Integrative Medicine”. The speaker: Donna Audia, RN & Holistic Nurse - University of Maryland Medical Center.
- August 8th – The 3rd annual TRIO Maryland Member Picnic held at Wilson Point Park. This year’s menu includes steamed crabs and catering by Mission Bar B Que.
- September 12 – The Topic: “Transplant Medications”. The speaker: Kimberly Boyle, PharmD – Johns Hopkins Hospital.
Note: Check out TRIO Maryland’s website for details on upcoming meetings and events. www.triomaryland.org