TRIO Board takes position on UNOS/OPTN "Enhancing Liver Distribution" proposal
Refraining from taking a YES or NO position on the controversial "Enhancing Liver Distribution" proposal out for public comment through Oct 2nd, the TRIO board voted to support chapters with resources to host local educational events of public education on the issues while encouraging members to make their personal position known directly to the UNOS liver committee using the Public Comment process.
The followiwng resources are offered to help members understand this complex and controversial proposal and make informed decisions and comments - click on each resource to link to a resource or to download a PDF file for viewing:
- UNOS/OPTN statement of the liver distribution problem
- UNOS/OPTN Liver committee slides explaining and in support of the the proposal as presented at UNOS/OPTN Regional meetings and recently to the TRIO board by Ira Cooperman
- the "Enhancing Liver Distribution" proposal in summary
- the "Enhancing Liver Distribution" proposal in full detail
- a statement of "The Final Rule" that guides UNOS/OPTN in their work
- a transplant community letter to the committee in opposition to the proposal (showing the controversial aspect of the proposal)
- presentation slides in opposition to the proposal as presented to the board by David Goldberg
- read through submitted public comments here (scroll down)
- Washington Post article: "Who deserves a liver? "
To make your public comment directly to the committee, click here: UNOS/OPTN Public Policy web site